Case Western Reserve University Harrington Physician-Scientist Pathway
The Harrington Physician-Scientist Pathway seeks to train the future leaders of academic medicine and combines outstanding clinical training in the Department of Medicine at Case Western Reserve University with mentored research experience designed to launch a successful scientific career.
|Harrington Physician-Scientist Pathway|
|University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center, Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center|
|Case Western Reserve University|
|Director||Aaron Proweller, MD, PhD|
|Thomas Hostetter, MD|
Associate director email
|Deena Segal, C-TAGME|
|Location||Cleveland, Ohio, United States of America|
|Website||Harrington Physician-Scientist Pathway|
|1552140C2 (Harrington Pathway)|
The Harrington Physician-Scientist Pathway is designed to leverage the research strength of Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals Cleveland, including the Harrington Discovery Institute and its initiatives, to provide excellent training to prospective physician-scientists. The pathway tailors the pathway to each trainee and develops an individualized career plan for each trainee to ensure a successful transition to an independent academic career. The pathway includes two years of internal medicine training, one to two years of subspecialty fellowship training (depending on the specialty), and three years of 80% protected research time. The pathway guarantees admission to the subspecialty fellowship of the trainee's choice. Successful applicants will have demonstrated a strong commitment to a career in research, although a PhD degree is not required.
Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals Cleveland have a long history of supporting physician-scientists, and many members of the leadership of both the Department of Medicine and the University are physician-scientists. A major initiative of University Hospitals Cleveland, with the support of the Harrington Family, is the Harrington Discovery Institute, launched in 2012. The Institute sponsors a number of awards and fellowships to honor and support physician-scientists as well as infrastructure to help turn scientific discoveries into clinical applications and advances. This environment, coupled with the exceptional training afforded by the Internal Medicine Residency Program of University Hospitals Cleveland, provides a setting ideally suited to launching a career as an academic physician-scientist.
Applicants should select the Harrington Physician-Scientist Pathway NRMP number in ERAS. One of the three letters assigned in ERAS should be from the applicant's research mentor. No supplemental application is required. The program will invite selected candidates to separate interview day to include meetings with program, department, and institutional leadership as well as physician-scientists currently working at Case Western Reserve University. The interview will take place over one day and will include additional events following the categorical internal medicine interview events. Specific interview dates are reserved for Harrington Pathway applicants.
- Length of Program: 6-7 years depending on the subspecialty fellowship (short track)
- Number of protected research months: 3 years of 80% protected time
- Overall Size: 26 categorical, 4 med-peds, 1 medicine-genetics, 6 Center of Excellence-Medicine, and 2 Harrington Physician-Scientist per year with 8 preliminary medicine
- Research Track Size: 2 per year
- Separate NRMP Code for Research Pathway: Yes, 1552140C2
- Research Opportunities: Opportunities throughout the campus of Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals Cleveland
- Benefits: Educational and travel stipend yearly starting in PGY1, salary supplementation beyond the NIH scale during the research period
- Career Development Opportunities:
- Program Director: Aaron Proweller, MD, PhD, email@example.com
- Program Administrator: Deena Segal, C-TAGME Deena.Segal@UHhospitals.org
- Program Website: Harrington Physician-Scientist Pathway
- Telephone: 216-844-2562
- Address: Deena Segal, C-TAGME, Academic Program Administrator, Internal Medicine Residency Program, University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center, 11100 Euclid Ave, Room Number: Lakeside 3579, Cleveland, Ohio 44106