MetroHealth System/Case Western Reserve University - Internal Medicine - Physician Scientist Pathway
This page currently is not maintained by the program described. As such we cannot guarantee the information is complete or up to date.
|Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine|
|The MetroHealth System|
|Case Western Reserve University|
|Director||Michael J. McFarlane|
|Location||New York, New York, United States of America|
The Department of Medicine at the MetroHealth Campus of Case Western Reserve University is proud to present the Physician Scientist Pathway (PSP). This program is designed to provide rigorous training to future physician investigators in the methods of disease- and patient-oriented biomedical research. The program is designed to train future leaders in academic medicine. Clinical and basic science is valued equally. Applicants may, but are not required, to have a specific subspecialty interest. Upon completion of this program, trainees will be board eligible in Internal Medicine, their subspecialty of interest (if desired), and will have received in-depth research training needed to develop a career as an independent physician investigator. It will provide key elements of oversight, and will allow for the maximum protected research time that enables satisfactory completion of ABIM board requirements for residencyand subspecialty training. The program is designed to optimize utilization of and collaboration between the rich research, clinical and training environments available at the MetroHealth Campus of Case Western Reserve University. The program will also foster expertise in "translational medicine," thereby promoting the rapid application of scientific discoveries to diagnostic and therapeutic innovations at the bedside. Emphasis on:
- Critical thinking skills
- Identification of research problems
- Formulating testable, important hypotheses
- Preparing a research proposal
- Interpretation of scientific results
- Communicating data effectively in a variety of forums including published manuscripts and presentations at national meeting
The program will accomplish its goals by attracting the most talented medical graduates into The MetroHealth System as a result of the unique opportunities offered, and because specialized training will be leveraged against existing areas of research and training excellence within the institution and university. Although trainees will receive comprehensive clinical training in Internal Medicine and their clinical subspecialty of interest (if desired), the continuity of scientific inquiry throughout the entire training period is unique, and will permit the trainee to establish substantial track records in their respective fields, providing a critical springboard to an academic career.
Key Features of the Program
- Protected research time needed to establish a track record of research accomplishment.
- Optimizes time for research training by reducing duration of clinical training.
- No need to apply separately to subspecialty training program, allowing more time to focus on research.
- Board qualification in Internal Medicine and subspecialty (if desired) upon completion of program.
- Formal training in biostatistics, bio-ethics, research study design.
- Availability of advanced degree programs (e.g. MPH) for those interested in clinical science, health care policy research, epidemiology, biostatistics, etc.
- Continuous mentorship with regard to career development from academic and research advisors, and support and oversight from the PSP Committee.
- Length of Program: 5-8 years
- Overall Size: unknown
- Research Track Size: unknown; unknown
- Separate NRMP Code for Research Pathway: unknown
- Research Opportunities: unknown
- Benefits: unknown
- Career Development Opportunities: unknown
- Job Placement: unkown
- Funding success: unknown
- Internal Medicine
- Program Director: Michael J. McFarlane, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Program Administrator:
- Program Email: email@example.com
- Program Website: 
- Telephone: (216) 778-3886
- Address: 1300 Morris Park Avenue Bronx, NY 10461