University of Massachusetts Internal Medicine Research Pathway
This page is not maintained by the program described. As such we cannot guarantee the information is complete or up to date.
For more information please contact us at: email@example.com
|University of Massachusetts ABIM|
|UMass Memorial Healthcare|
|University of Massachusetts|
|Shan Lu, M.D., PhD|
Associate director email
|Location||Worcester, Massachusetts, United States of America|
|Website||UMass Research Residencyt|
The ABIM Research Pathway offers traditional and innovative programs flexibly designed for the resident who desires training as a physician - scientist and a career in academic medicine. This track, approved by the American Board of Internal Medicine, combines streamlined clinical training with a structured research experience. Within this Pathway, we have created the Millennium Program, which leads to the Ph.D.
Residency applicants should note on their application and discuss with the Residency Program Director their interest in the Research Pathway. On the day of their interview, the applicant will meet with members of the Department’s research faculty in their field of interest. After acceptance, residents wishing to participate in this Pathway may advise the Program Director of this intention during their PGY-1 or -2 years. Residents transition into the research portion of the Pathway after 24 months of clinical training.
By the start of their PGY-2 year, participating residents should identify a research mentor. There are many outstanding faculty to choose from, representing clinical and basic sciences. A list of the Department faculty and their research interests is included. Mentors provide guidance to their trainees, and career counseling as appropriate. Working with the residency Program Director, mentors ensure that each resident’s performance is evaluated, and the American Board of Internal Medicine is kept apprised of their progress. 
- Length of Program: 5 years for research track; 6-7 with fellowship training
- Number of protected research months: 36 months
- Overall Size: 37 Students Per Year
- Research Track Size: Unknown
- Separate NRMP Code for Research Pathway: Unsure NRMP numbers: 3050140P1, 3050140P0, 3050140C0
- Research Opportunities: Although participants in research may choose a mentor from among any of the basic or clinical science faculty at UMMS, it is anticipated that most faculty sponsors will be members of the Department of Medicine. Collaborative projects with faculty in other departments are encouraged.
- Benefits: Unknown
- Career Development Opportunities: Unknown
- Job Placement: Unknown
- Funding success: Unknown
- Program Director: Unknown
- Program Associate Administrator: Shan Lu, M.D., PhD, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Program Email: Unknown
- Program Website: UMass Research Residency
- Address: 55 Lake Avenue North; Worcester, Massachusetts 01655