Children's Hospital Los Angeles Donnell Society
|George Donnell Society for Pediatric Scientists|
|Children's Hospital Los Angeles|
|University of Southern California|
|Director||Lee J. Helman, MD|
|11 (Donnell Society), ~90 (Overall Pediatric Residency Program)|
Trainees per year
|1-2 (Society Fellows), ~29 (Pediatric Residency)|
|Location||Los Angeles, California, United States of America|
|1031320C0 (CHLA Pediatric Residency)|
The George Donnell Society for Pediatric Scientists is dedicated to improving the health of children by training pediatric scientists to perform innovative and high quality research. The Society provides mentorship, infrastructure, and a community for pediatric scientists in training.
Candidates interviewing for pediatric residency at CHLA who are interested in becoming physician scientists should apply for the Donnell Fellowship. The Donnell Society sponsors one or more Donnell Fellows per year, who are chosen at the beginning of their pediatric internship. Pediatric residency candidates submit a supplemental Donnell application prior to their interviews and are also interviewed by physician scientists in their fields of interest. At the time they are appointed, Donnell Fellows are guaranteed admission into the fellowship program of their choice, though applicants are not required to commit to a specific fellowship program until later in their residency. The Society covers 50 percent of fellows’ salaries during two research years of their fellowship.
Donnell Fellowship candidates will be considered after they are invited to interview for residency at CHLA. If you are interested in applying to The Donnell Fellowship, prior to scheduling your residency interview, please contact us via email at email@example.com. For more information, visit The George Donnell Society for Pediatric Scientists website at chla.org/DonnellSociety.
- Length of Program: 6-7 years (3 for Pediatric Residency, 3-4 of fellowship; ABP alternative pathways are optional)
- Size: 11 (Donnell Society), ~90 (Pediatric Residency program)
- Average Number Recruited Per Year: 1-2 Donnell Fellows
- Program Environment: University-based
- Participates in ERAS
- Fellowship Benefits: Individual development plan (IDP), opportunities to complete coursework outside of the residency/fellowship program, annual conference travel allowance, annual education allowance for books/software/etc, dedicated administrative support for scholarly activities (e.g. grant preparation, manuscript submission)
- Society Benefits: Help in identifying a mentor and completing IDP, membership in APSA, travel support to annual APSA conference
- Other benefits as members of the CHLA Pediatric Residency Program: on-call meal allowance, 4 weeks of vacation (5 in year 1), subsidized housing available, health/dental/life insurance available, reimbursement for examination and licensure fees.
- Program Director: Lee J. Helman, MD, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Program Administrator: Maria Lavarreda-Pearce, email@example.com
- Program Website: chla.org/DonnellSociety
- Address: Children's Hospital Los Angeles, 4650 Sunset Blvd., Mailstop #84, Los Angeles, CA 90027