Medical University of South Carolina Pathology

From APSA Research Residency and Fellowship Program Database
Revision as of 21:31, 26 August 2015 by Musc (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Medical University of South Carolina
Specialty Pathology
Hospital affiliation(s)
Medical University of South Carolina
Academic affiliation
Medical University of South Carolina
Director Nicholas Batalis, MD
Director email
Associate director
David Lewin, MD
Associate director email
Trudie Shingledecker
Administrator email
Current trainees
Trainees per year
Location Charleston, South Carolina, United States of America
Website Residency Website
Telephone 843-792-1086
NRMP Number

Program Description

Short description of your program.

Program Information

Program Highlights

  • Length of Program: 4 years (Additional 5th year in Physician-Scientist Research Pathway available)
  • Number of protected research months: Up to 6 during 4 year residency, with additional 12 months if choosing Physician-Scientist Research Pathway
  • Overall Size: Approved for 22 positions, 5-6 residents per year
  • Research Track Size: Up to 1 resident per year
  • Separate NRMP Code for Research Pathway: No
  • Research Opportunities: Residents can choose to do research in any School of Medicine department, although Department of Pathology laboratories are preferred
  • Benefits: We offer a generous resident support package including an educational allowance, funds to present research projects at meetings, and departmental funds to support research; personal computer and microscope for use during duration of training; health, dental, and life insurance; paid vacation, administrative, and sick leave; ample office space; free membership to wellness center; free covered parking
  • Career Development Opportunities: All residents choose a clinical faculty mentor during their first 6 months of training. Those trainees with a research interest may choose an additional faculty mentor to aid research efforts.


  • Job Placement: Approximately 75% of our graduates enter private practice pathology with the remaining 25% working in university affiliated academic positions or government affiliated positions. Most all of our residents complete 1 fellowship and our trainees have been successful in attaining positions at institutions across the country. For a listing of fellowship and work placements please see our webpage:

Program Tracks

The vast mojority of our trainees complete a 4 year combined anatomic and clinical pathology training program. On rare occasions we have had trainees in 3 year anatomic or clinical pathology only tracks. An additional year of research is available through a 5 year Physician-Scientist Research Pathway.

Pertinent Fellowships

Fellowship training programs are available in the fields of clinical chemistry, cytopathology (3 positions), dermatopathology (3 positions), forensic pathology, hematopathology, and surgical pathology (2 positions).

Contact Information